Thursday, November 13, 2008

Underoath & Saosin

The highly anticipated Underoath Saosin show went off without a hitch. Well, I can’t really vouch for the accuracy of that statement, but the show was amazing. My buddy Nathan and I showed up right as Saosin was taking the stage. Quickly making our way to the front, I couldn’t help but notice the vocals were a little off for cove, his mic needed to be turned way up. In between songs, a kid standing next to me yelled up to him to have it turned up. Cove responded, “I have no control…. I have no control…. I have no control kind of like a woman.” So maybe there were one or two hitches. Saosin played a few songs from The Grey EP which is their new creation that they are currently traveling with. During this tour they are selling 100 copies at each venue and that’s it. I purchased one of Portland's 100 copies to find out that they are also all autographed by the band. I was pretty stoked. It is a great disc by the way, go download it. They played a great set including songs from Translating the Name, which is the EP that Saosin put out back when Anthony Green (Circa Survive, Sound of Animals Fighting) was at the helm. As a Saosin fan myself, I enjoyed myself thoroughly.


Saosin from Aaron Nicholls on Vimeo.

I have heard people tell me about a band called Underoath for years, and I never checked them out. Not until the release of Lost in the Sound of Separation, Underoath’s 2008 release that has been critically acclaimed in a number of publications. Here is a link to a great review I read on the Alternative Press Website. http://altpress.com/reviews/1352.htm I fell in love with this album right away, and decided that I should probably take a look at their older stuff since everyone had been right about these guys all along. I downloaded every album they have, and didn’t really dig it. But prior to this show, Underoath’s latest creation dominated my iPod. The Underoath set was an excellent one. Entering to the first track on the Lost in the Sound of Separation, "Breathing in a New Mentality", they continued to rip the stage a part for probably 5 songs before stopping to breathe. They played a nice variety of old and new, and much of the sellout crowd seemed to know every word. With each song the crowd surged forward, but not too violently of course, this is Christian Hard-Core mind you. At the end of the show Aaron Gillespie (Drums, The Almost) threw out his sticks, and I was lucky enough to catch one. Stoked! All in All, the show lived up to each one of my expectations, and I left with some cool memorabilia as well.


Underoath from Aaron Nicholls on Vimeo.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, great footage. Keep this shit comin bro.

Anonymous said...

This is pretty sick.

Anonymous said...

That shit looks crazy,
wish i couldve been there.

Sundrop12 said...

UnderOath freakn ROCKS! and youve got the best video ive seen on the net. that was a great show

keep up the news!

AlllisonM said...

Has Saosin come out with a new CD yet? If not they should.

Aaron Nicholls said...

They released an Extended Play, called The Grey EP. It is pretty damn good, but available only at their shows. As far as their next record, they are hitting the Hurley studios after this tour is over.