Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Walkmen

Showing up just before the headliner comes out, is a skill that I have been trying to develop through the years, as my availability gets tighter, and social engagements take precedent to your brothers garage band. But on the other side of that arrangement you’ll find that more often than not you are missing solid talent that is yet to be discovered. This show was a great example as I arrived during the final set change. I went up to the bar with my buddy Mark, and asked around about how the show had been thus far, and I couldn’t stop hearing rave reviews about Beach House, the band that had just left the stage. I spoke to around 15 people that each said they performed outside of their expectations. I even ran into one guy who was on his way out, having seen what he’d come to see… Beach House. I on the other hand was there for one thing, Red Moon. A single off of The Walkmen’s fifth studio release “You & Me”. It was my favorite track of the solid indie album and I think they played the rest of it pretty well. The showmanship was mildly lacking, but I wasn’t exactly in the right mind to make that distinction so maybe take that with a grain of salt. I enjoyed myself, and that is what it’s all about. Check out the vid which is the song Red Moon. Download their studio stuff, much better representation of their music than this live show footage.


The Walkmen from Aaron Nicholls on Vimeo.

No comments: