Thursday, February 5, 2009

Rebelution

“Hailing from Santa Barbara California, wearing the baggy jeans in the pot leaf trim, the defending California Reggae champions of the world… Rebelution!” While that all may be a little over the top, you seriously need to check these guys out. Their album “Courage to Grow” was something I didn’t stop talking about for some weeks leading up to the show. I had never heard of Rebelution before seeing their show announced on MikeThrasherPresents.com (pitch!) and once I saw their poster, I immediately headed to my torrent search engine of choice _______ (send check to see name there) and downloaded their debut release. I’ve never had a particular interest in this genre, but this disc certainly changed my mind. The album features hit after hit of solid relaxing ska infused reggae that you can’t help but dance to. Their live performance was no different. The show was at The Hawthorne Theatre, and they sold the place out. The first thing I couldn’t help but notice as they took the stage was Marley Williams (bass) rocking a Blazers jersey. What a badass. They opened up with a few tracks from the album, and then as many bands like to do they threw us some new material to digest. The new stuff was pretty good, but what I found most enjoyable was their performance of almost the entirety of Courage to Grow. I was impressed as the entire crowd knew each and every word. Their encore was Feeling Alright, which just so happens to be your video for this show. Go check it out, and throw me a comment.


Rebelution from Aaron Nicholls on Vimeo.

No comments: