Friday, February 27, 2009

Beejan at The Mansion

Last Friday (Feb. 20th) was my opportunity to see some local hip-hop live, at The Mansion on SE 11th and Morrison. I heard about the show through a friend, and I have to say I was NOT completely dissappointed. While the crowd wasn’t incredible, it was certainly characteristic of a local rap show, especially at a place called The Mansion. I have to say I was particularly impressed by a kid named Beejan coming from Tigard. I enjoyed the kid’s old school flow; you gotta love being able to understand each word. Especially when the words are things like “you might catch an uppercut like Tekken, what, check him, he might have brought the Tech in. haters, fake thugs they all carry weapons.” After his set I bought one of his Mix Tapes, which is apparently in stores.(EveryDay Music, 360 Vinyl) The album, I Guess That’s the Name Vol. 2, has some very solid tracks on it including Fire, Embrace the Day, and Timeline, all of which I believe can be found on his myspace page (myspace.com/beejanmusic). Many of his songs involve normal life themes, as opposed to the drug dealing lifestyle we are so used to hearing about. Some of his lines were illustrative of his local standing and aspirations. “They’re living in the studio, I’m living in reality. Trying to turn my art into a seven digit salary.” I took a few videos at the show but the one I decided to post is one where he decides to ignore that the song is over, and continues to spit a capella when the beat drops.The kid next to me was thoroughly excited about it, and I imagine fairly intoxicated, check it out. I enjoyed myself, and look forward to seeing more from this local artist. His upcoming show is free, at Urban Hookah on TV Highway next Saturday(March 7th). (www.urbanhookah.net)


Beejan at The Mansion from Aaron Nicholls on Vimeo.

No comments: